Soldering the components on the boards
- Prepare one “left”, and one “right of the main plate PCB
- Prepare the thumb cluster PCBs - they will be different as both sides don't have the same amount of thumb keys
- All components and cables should be soldered on the same side
Pay attention to the orientation of the PCBs: you need two “right”, and two “left”.
Depending on which side is the trackball, use the corresponding thumb cluster PCB.
For the Charybdis 6x4:
- If you have a right-handed trackball, place the "3 keys" thumb PCB with the "right" side facing up. Place the "5 keys" thumb PCB with the "left" side facing up.
- If you have a left-handed trackball, place the "3 keys" thumb PCB with the "left" side facing up. Place the "5 keys" thumb PCB with the "right" side facing up.
Please be aware that the "face down" sides for soldering will later be installed flush against the case. If you place components there, the PCB will not fit against the case.
Preparing the thumb cluster PCB
As you are building the 6x4 version, keep the thumb cluster PCB as is.
- Solder all the diodes on the four PCBs (main plate and thumb clusters)
- Check the orientation of the diodes: use the indications on the PCB
- Check the tips here: how to install the diodes.
If you have per-key RGB, please refer to this article:
Install the ribbon cables on the plates
Cut the ribbon cables using scissors.
Prepare for the 6x4 version:
- 4 * ribbons of 6 cables
- 2 * ribbons of 5 cables
Install the main plate's ribbon cables:
On the same side as the diodes, insert all the ribbon cables.
Solder from the other side (solder on the side opposite of which you soldered the diodes).
Use the picture below for reference: notice that the diodes are on the same side as the ribbon cables.
Connecting the thumb cluster
- In this section you will solder the ribbon cables coming out of the main plate to the thumb cluster PCB
- Read the "PCB orientation" again. The 2 sides are not the same and need to be prepared differently !!!
- Make sure you install the cables on the same side as the components - check the example picture above. If it helps, place the PCBs into the case to double check
- Locate the ribbon cable that you soldered to the bottom connector on the main plate PCB:
- Solder the other end to the thumb cluster
- The legend numbers may not match. Make sure to align the R on the main plate on the R on the thumb cluster
- Make sure you solder the plate to the corresponding side (eg. Right to Right)
Thumb cluster alignment for the 6x4 version:
Trim the cables
- Locate the other side of the PCB (the one opposite of the components)
- Locate the ribbon cables going out, they are protruding a bit
- Trim them to make sure they're as flush as possible with the surface of the PCB