Install the sensor assembly
The sensor assembly is made of 2 components:
- Top (red)
- Bottom (Green)
Please note: the newer revision of the top part has 3 screw inserts. This guide is made for it.
If you have the older revision with only 2 screw inserts, the guide also applies.
There are 2 types of screw inserts in the kit - big (M4), and small (M3).
For this, make sure to use the small ones !
- Install the 3 screw inserts (see picture under for reference)
- Use the same method as for the case
- Let gravity do the work
- Push it 2/3 of the way in, then flip it and push flush against a flat surface
- For each of the 3 bearings, ...
- Install the bearing in its spot
- Screw in the M3 torx screw
- Make sure it can rotate freely. If not, unscrew by half a turn or until it can rotate
Spin the ball
- By default, the bearings will scratch a bit against the 3d print, and not roll correctly
- Rest the trackball on top of the 3 bearings
- Place your palm on top of the trackball
- Applying gentle pressure, make a circle movement, make sure you can hear the bearings rotating
- Do this for around 30 seconds
Insert the top sensor holder assembly into the case
- The top sensor holder assembly has a specific way of being inserted
- Locate the side with a cut part
- Install it from the top of the keyboard, by pushing in the opposite side first. Use the picture below to check correct insertion
Push in the other side. It will scrap a little bit against the case.
Insert the bottom sensor holder assembly into the case
- Insert the bottom part of the assembly from under the case
- Screw in the 2 screws
- Make sure it's tight, but do not overtighten - you might damage the print
- The whole assembly should not move at all
Lens and Kapton Tape
- Remove the two yellow kapton tapes
- Reinstall the lens
- Make sure the little tab on the lens aligns with the hole on the sensor
Install the sensor PCB
Install the sensor PCB on top of the holder, aligning the two holes of the PCB with the two holes of the holder. Use the picture below for reference
Screw in the sensor PCB using 2 M3 torx screws