Soldering the components on the boards
- Prepare one “left”, and one “right of the main plate PCB
- Prepare the thumb cluster PCBs - they will be different as both sides don't have the same amount of thumb keys
- All components and cables should be soldered on the same side
Pay attention to the orientation of the PCBs: you need two “right”, and two “left”.
Depending on which side is the trackball, use the corresponding thumb cluster PCB.
For the Charybdis Nano 5x3:
- If you have a right-handed trackball, place the "2 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "right". Place the "3 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "left"
- If you have a left-handed trackball, place the "3 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "left". Place the "5 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "right"
- Solder all the diodes on the four PCBs (main plate and thumb clusters)
- Check the orientation of the diodes: use the indications on the PCB
Here’s a few tips to install the diodes:
- Using a soldering iron, put some soldering tin on one pad
- Using pliers, install the diode, with one of its pins on top of the pad
- Melt the soldering tin, while still holding the diode in place. The soldering tin will “melt around” the diode’s pin
- Once the solder melted, remove the soldering iron. Do not let go of the diode until the soldering tin is solid again
- After the soldering tin has solidified, you can let go of the diode
- The diode should now not move at all
- Solder the other pad
Cutting the thumb cluster PCB
As you are building a smaller version with only 2 thumb cluster keys on the trackball side (5x3), use scissors to cut the PCB along the white line (as seen in picture below).
Install the ribbon cables on the plates
Cut the ribbon cables using scissors.
Prepare for the 5x3 version:
- 2 * ribbons of 6 cables
- 2 * ribbons of 5 cables
- 2 * ribbons of 4 cables
Install the main plate's ribbon cables:
On the same side as the diodes, insert all the ribbon cables.
Solder from the other side (solder on the side opposite of which you soldered the diodes).
Use the picture below for reference: notice that the diodes are on the same side as the ribbon cables.
Connecting the thumb cluster
- In this section you will solder the ribbon cables coming out of the main plate to the thumb cluster PCB
- Read the "PCB orientation" again. The 2 sides are not the same and need to be prepared differently !!!
- Make sure you install the cables on the same side as the components - check the example picture above. If it helps, place the PCBs into the case to double check
- Locate the ribbon cable that you soldered to the bottom connector on the main plate PCB:
- Solder the other end to the thumb cluster
- For the 5x3 version, make sure to solder to the "Mini" marker:
- The legend numbers may not match. Make sure to align the R on the main plate on the R on the thumb cluster
- Make sure you solder the plate to the corresponding side (eg. Right to Right)
Thumb cluster alignment for the 5x3 version:
Trim the cables
- Locate the other side of the PCB (the one opposite of the components)
- Locate the ribbon cables going out, they are protruding a bit
- Trim them to make sure they're as flush as possible with the surface of the PCB