Soldering the components on the boards
- Prepare one “left”, and one “right of the main plate PCB
- Prepare the thumb cluster PCBs - they will be different as both sides don't have the same amount of thumb keys
- All components and cables should be soldered on the same side
Pay attention to the orientation of the PCBs: you need two “right”, and two “left”.
Depending on which side is the trackball, use the corresponding thumb cluster PCB.
For the Charybdis Nano 5x3:
- If you have a right-handed trackball, place the "2 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "right". Place the "3 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "left"
- If you have a left-handed trackball, place the "3 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "left". Place the "5 keys" thumb PCB on the side which is marked with "right"
- Solder all the diodes on the four PCBs (main plate and thumb clusters)
- Check the orientation of the diodes: use the indications on the PCB
- Check the tips here: how to install the diodes.
If you have per-key RGB, please refer to this article:
Cutting the thumb cluster PCB
As you are building a smaller version with only 2 thumb cluster keys on the trackball side (5x3), use scissors to cut the PCB along the white line (as seen in picture below).