Types of diodes
The keyboards come with 2 types of diodes.
Those diodes have 2 legs, and a small white strip on the top.
They have to be soldered on the footprints with 2 pads and the diode signal.
The white strip should align with the white marking on the PCB:
Those diodes have 3 legs, and come in the Scylla and Charybdis kits.
They have to be soldered on the footprints with 3 pads:
Here’s a few tips to install the diodes:
- Using a soldering iron, put some soldering tin on one pad
- Using pliers, install the diode, with one of its pins on top of the pad
- Melt the soldering tin, while still holding the diode in place. The soldering tin will “melt around” the diode’s pin
- Once the solder melted, remove the soldering iron. Do not let go of the diode until the soldering tin is solid again
- After the soldering tin has solidified, you can let go of the diode
- The diode should now not move at all
- Solder the other pad