Before installing the cables, double check...
- You installed all the diodes on the thumb cluster and plate PCBs
Installing the RGB cables
If you are building with RGB, refer to this guide:
Then check that you installed:
- All the LEDs,
- The capacitors and resistors
- The red black yellow cables
- The 3-ribbon cables
Install the ribbon cables on the plates
Cut the ribbon cables using scissors.
Prepare for the 5x3 version:
- 2 * ribbons of 6 cables
- 2 * ribbons of 5 cables
- 2 * ribbons of 4 cables
Install the main plate's ribbon cables:
On the same side as the diodes, insert all the ribbon cables.
Solder from the other side (solder on the side opposite of which you soldered the diodes).
Use the picture below for reference: notice that the diodes are on the same side as the ribbon cables.
Connecting the thumb cluster
- In this section you will solder the ribbon cables coming out of the main plate to the thumb cluster PCB
- Read the "PCB orientation" again. The 2 sides are not the same and need to be prepared differently !!!
- Make sure you install the cables on the same side as the components - check the example picture above. If it helps, place the PCBs into the case to double check
- Locate the ribbon cable that you soldered to the bottom connector on the main plate PCB:
- Solder the other end to the thumb cluster
- For the 5x3 version, make sure to solder to the "Mini" marker:
- The legend numbers may not match. Make sure to align the R on the main plate on the R on the thumb cluster
- Make sure you solder the plate to the corresponding side (eg. Right to Right)
Thumb cluster alignment for the 5x3 version:
Trim the cables
- Locate the other side of the PCB (the one opposite of the components)
- Locate the ribbon cables going out, they are protruding a bit
- Trim them to make sure they're as flush as possible with the surface of the PCB